Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Senorita Sublime Blanco

It's been more than 2 weeks already?! What?? Last week we didn't have classes because for the Peruvians the 4th of July is a week long. So, I went on a road trip with mi familia to Arequipa, which was a 14 hour drive south of Lima close to the coast. On the way down I saw ginormous sand dunes, shanty towns that I thought all of Peru was really like, and some of the scariest driving imaginable haha. Last Monday I took an all day (3am-5pm) bus tour to the Colca Canyon, which was GORGEOUS! I think I forgot to pack my camera charger (Brian, please don't reply to this...I know I'm a ra-tard like Rain Man) but I have some amazing pictures to post...this is also why it has taken me so long to post another message on here because I wanted to include pics. I also wanted to post pics of the cuy I ate. Guinea pig...with the head, legs, teeth, claws, everything all right there fried up on your plate. It was delicious!! Tasted exactly like fried chicken. I've also tried alpaca, trout from the highlands, pig feet, octopus, sea urchin, etc. All delicious minus the pig feet, which tasted like gummy bears and pork...nasty. The rest of the trip was great and I learned a TON because I was only around Spanish-speakers so that really helped. I got back to Lima on Friday and have just been hanging out trying to recover from a bad case of the gobloots (the Lambs can support me on that one...no bueno!)

Things I've learned so far:
1. If you're trying to say "My hair is full of dust," make sure you use the word polvo not pavo because otherwise your hair is full of turkeys and your host mom will think you're mental.
2. If a Peruvian tells you to "Fist me" when he thinks something is cool, don't worry...he's trying to say "Pound it."
3. Sublime blanco (a white chocolate bar w/ nuts) is God's gift to Peru. It's like he froze heaven and sent it down to the vendors on every street corner and made them about 25 cents.
4. If your little brother asks "Que es 'shit'?" and then starts yelling "SHIT!!" in the middle of a restaurant, it's ok to laugh until you cry because no one here knows what it means.
5. Peruvians don't understand what a vegetarian is. It's sinful.
6. I'm still going fishing every morning.
7. Don't worry if a Peruvian gets offended/confused if you tell them "No way, Jose!" (They'll think you're calling them Jose, even though there are a lot of Jose's, not everyone is named that).
8. Dumb & Dumber in Spanish is double the funny! "Harry, tus manos estan heladas!" "Eso John Denver es lleno de mierda..." hahahahahaha

1 comment:

  1. Finally a new post! Can't wait to see some pics. Brigit told me your camera was down or something. Glad to see you are learning some new things and having a good time. I can't believe the things you are eating, you are a brave girl. So Brigit said you guys talk often...where is our phone call? Grayson and Anniston would like to see their aunt too. We know you are busy but call us sometime. I know you email Brian but you know how he is about sharing. Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete