Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Gone fishing...

This is my bathroom. Please notice the small trashcan next to the toilet. This is because Peruvians don't flush their tp. Needless to say, I forget this minor detail (especially in the mornings)so I've been doing some fishing...



It's only 8:30 and I'm getting ready for bed haha Peru is kicking my butt! But in a good way, I've been soooo busy! Between yesterday and today I've eaten cow stomach, cow heart, more potatoes and rice to last a lifetime, and a million other delicious things. Last night I went with my mom and dad to her family's house that they do every Tuesday and hung out with her brothers, mom, nephew, etc. It was the running joke between them that I will try any food and like it...sure enough they gave me the dish with cow stomach in it and it was seriously delicious! Also I'm known as the "gringa" over here and I've gotten used to EVERYONE staring haha. I also tried pisco, which is the traditional Peruvian liquor that everyone drinks over here, tastes like rum but a little bit sweeter. Que mas? It's already getting a lot easier to speak Spanish and am understanding the fast Peruvians better. I have class every day from 9am to 1pm with the 3 other Americans that are in my program, but alraedy next week we have the whole week off so I'm going with my family to a town called Arequipa, which is south of here on the coast.

Best things I've learned so far:
1.Estoy excitada does not mean I'm excited, it means I'm horny.
2.Estoy embarazada may sound like I'm drunk...it means I'm pregnant.
3. Chicha morada is a common drink down here, kinda like a grape juice. NEVER say Tomo mucho CHUCHA morada...(that means a chica's vajayjay...hey-o!)
4. Don't say "Gracias" to the people on the bus who take your money.
5. Don't smile at random guy passing on the street, especially if you're a gringa because they'll think you want them haha.
6. TRY EVERYTHING because it's all DELICIOSO!

Y ya es todo para hoy. Buenas noches!



This is my family: Juan Manuel, Paohla, she's with Juan Manuelito, and Fernando (we call him Chinito)


We went to a Museum of Anthropology today and these were some kind of pre-Incan columns? Yo no se...




This was at the museum...a lot of the public places here like malls, museos, etc. have an open center
The kids that go to school here wear uniforms..and in some schools their uniforms are track suits haha. !Que suerte!








This is Inti. Yes, this is a dog. He freaked me out the first night because he was so weird. But believe it or not he's growing on me, probably because he doesn't have fur to get all over the place (mi mama likes this too. Our live-in maid Teo probably likes this too, less work). He's a traditional Peruvian dog and he's not even a year old even though he looks like he's really old.

Inti is posing for the camera. Pobrecito. He's tan feo... so ugly. We call him Feito!

This is my room, looks kinda small but really isn't...It has a big closet and past the couch is the outside what has my little porch/terrace.

5 comments:

  1. Breet ~
    You are SO funny!! I love your numbered alerts! Your familia looks so nice and wholesome....kind of the opposite of your Lamb side! Keep trying those strange foods ~ we'll have to try them but don't tell us first.
    Sleep tight ~ love you! Mamacita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Britt I am LOVING the photo addition to the blogs, lets me feel like I am there with you :)

    I cannot believe you ate cow stomach, that is outrageous- you are much more open to new food than I am! Good job on that though, when else can you find homecooked Peruvian food?!

    And I have to say I am impressed you found a dog that ugly, hahahaha, hilarious!

    Miss you here, made some mac and cheese and thought of you and all of the times we ate on the kitchen floor :( ahhh. Sleep well, excited for your next update!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Britt

    It sounds like you are having so much fun...glad to hear that everything is going so well. I enjoy reading your blog and I am glad you posted some pictures. Your family looks really nice. You are so brave for trying new foods, I really don't think I could do it.

    ghjnnmjjkjkjbjkyhgjvkjnvb,mjk hkfj kjh nm nj
    h sorry Grayson is sitting on my lap and I guess he wanted to say something. Your room looks nice too. Can't wait to see more. Anniston is waking up so I better go. Have a great day! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. You thought Easton was ugly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pics Lady! Let's us see your world. Your family looks great and from everything you've told us, they are good to you. Thanks for keeping us updated, we love to hear all about your "adventures"!!!
    What's this about "The Map" getting lost going home??? Isn't that why Abby came up with the name?
    Love you!
    XXOO

    ReplyDelete